What is Physiotherapy?
We have been providing Physiotherapy in Abu Dhabi for nearly 5 years. A lot of people come and ask “what is physio?” or “physical therapy”. Hopefully the information below will help answer that question. If you have any further queries please see our FAQ’s page or contact us.
Physiotherapy is a clinical health science and not an alternative therapy. Physiotherapists study medical science subjects which include anatomy, physiology and neurology, this provides the education required to assess, diagnose, treat, rehabilitate and help prevent physical problems that occur within patients.
According to the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP, UK)
“Physiotherapy is science-based, committed to extending, applying, evaluating and reviewing the evidence that underpins and informs its practice and delivery. The exercise of clinical judgment and informed interpretation is at its core.”
What do Physiotherapists do?
At BounceBack Physiotherapy Abu Dhabi our physiotherapists use their training, expertise and clinical judgement to assess and treat a wide range of physical problems which can be linked to different systems of the body, this includes:
- Musculoskeletal System – bones, muscles, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, joints
- Neuromuscular System – nerves, neuromuscular transmission, transfer of information
- Cardiovascular System – Circulatory system
- Respiratory System – lungs, nose, throat, trachea, bronchi.
Physiotherapists work autonomously, usually as part of a team of other health professionals, such as doctors, nurses, surgeons, occupational therapists and dieticians to name but a few.
What is the aim of Physiotherapy?
General aims of physiotherapy are to…
- Relieve pain
- Improve mobility
- Restore normal function / ability
- Limit future injury or predisposition to injury
- Prevent permanent disability
- Improve patients quality of life
Physiotherapy in Abu Dhabi.
Physiotherapy in Abu Dhabi can differ greatly from clinic to clinic. We pride ourselves on ensuring that our patients receive the most comprehensive and evidence based treatment. This can only occur following a thorough assessment.
What can I expect from my physiotherapy session?
Your physiotherapist will begin your assessment with detailed questions regarding your injury and previous or current medical history that is appropriate. This will enable them to have a greater understanding of your issue.
Once the history is taken the physio will then need to progress to the physical examination.This will involve looking at the problem area and performing some movements / tests with you in order to determine a diagnosis.
Once a diagnosis is established your physio will discuss and explain potential treatments for your condition. Treatment can then commence and the physiotherapist will use objective measures which will be recorded in your notes to keep a objective repeatable, measure of your progress throughout treatment.
Some of the conditions we treat.
This is not an exhaustive list. However it should give an idea of some of the conditions we see here at BounceBack.
- Neck / whiplash / impingement / spasms / postural pains
- Shoulder / rotator cuff pathology / tears / SLAP / impingements / tendonitis / biceps tendonitis / bursitis
- Mid back / spasms / thoracic outlet syndrome / facet joint stiffness / disc pathology
- Lower back / SI joint dysfunction / Disc pathology / scoliosis / spondylosis / spondylolithesis
- Neurological issues / bells palsy / carpal tunnel / sciatica / radiculopathy
- Elbow injuries / tennis elbow / golfers elbow / nerve impingement
- Hand and wrist / trigger finger / Dupuytren’s Contractors / skiers thumb
- Hip / trochanteric bursitis / piritformis syndrome / osteoarthritis
- Knee / meniscal injuries / ACL pre – post op / MCL & LCL strains / Patella tendon pathologies / chondromalacia patella.
- Foot and Ankle / inversion injuries / plantar fasciitis / trigger toe / achilles tendonitis / tibiotalar impingement
- Pre and Post Op Orthopaedics / ORIFs / Disc Replacement / Joint Arthroplasty / tendon repairs / ligament repairs / menisectomies
- Women’s health / continence issues / pelvic floor strengthening / diastasis recti / post C-section rehab
- Adolescents / Sever’s disease / Osgood-Schlatter Disease / sports injuries / postural issues
If you have any questions on a particular pathology or injury, please feel free to get in touch. If we can’t help we will most likely be able to refer you to the right people.